Friday, November 11, 2011

Bad Environmental Habits

I would like to say that I am more or less an environmentally conscious person. I recycle, I turn off lights, I try to use up every little bit of material I have when I make crafts...
...but I make a lot of bad environmental decisions too. I drive my car to and from school instead of taking the bus or biking or walking, I take showers that are way too long, and I tend to buy too much food that I end up throwing away.


Public opinion polls repeatedly show that most Americans identify themselves as "environmentalists," but these people are just like me - all for saving the environment, but then they make decisions that are adding to the harm. This is because we all have our vices. We get greedy, we get lazy, we feel that we don't have enough time. We do these things without putting too much thought in to them - it's all habit, really. And if we truly want to do significant good  for the environment - our biggest challenge is going to be breaking these habits.
 Each of us are little bricks in the foundation of our society. We are all in this together... it doesn't make sense to assume the foundation to change if the pieces within do not shift. Every great movement, needs its members to be passionate for the cause. If you want to see improvement, look within yourself and make the sacrifice. And do not get caught up in what everyone else is doing - if you feel strongly for your cause, then the failure of others does not absolve you from your own duties. Every little positive thing we do adds up. Let's try to make it a habit of doing much more good than harm, and just do without as many of our negatives contributions as possible, maybe then we will start to see a shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment